Monday 26 April 2010

Mirror Frame ...... finished!

As promised, here is a photo of my completed mirror frame.  After creating several embellishments for the frame, using a variety of techniques, at Lindsay's workshop, I was determined not to let it lie around half-done for several months.  So I made a few more embellishments, using the acrylic fragments and the bottle top, plus added extras that I found in my stash (the "dream" key and sticker, a tree charm picked up at Aintree, an oriental dragon/coin charm and a brass disc with a palmistry hand on it - I found this at the bottom of one of my jewellery boxes). 


As you can see, I've ended up with quite an eclectic mix of pieces, but many of them are quite meaningful - there's an image of Whitby Abbey in the bottle top (DH and I lived there for a year many, many moons ago and the view from our house looked straight across the harbour to the Abbey).  I was born in a Water Dragon year, according to the Chinese "astrological" system, so it's appropriate to have one on my mirror.  The buddha figure (created from a mould Lindsay had, using a mix of UTEE and Perfect Pearls) reminds me of one of our best, kindest and most generous friends, who is a buddhist.  The palmistry disc represents the interest I've had in the past in learning about astrology and palm-reading.  And of course, a cat had to feature somewhere on the frame didn't it .... considering that we are a family of cat-lovers and have shared our home with cats throughout our married life?  *LOL*

The "madonna" embellishment was begun in Lindsay's class.  We transferred a picture of our choice (mine was from one of the Crafty Individuals books) onto some adhesive-backed canvas - the image turned out quite pale so Lindsay suggested Glossy Accents may brighten it up a bit.  I folded the canvas over some card, edged it with gold Krylon, and then used Crackle Glossy Accents over the top - I was quite pleased with the final effect once it dried as it has taken on a sort of "mosaic" finish in keeping with the Italian Renaissance image.  I finished the frame off by rubbing some Gold Metallic Rub-On around the edges and between some of the individual pieces.  It's now hanging up in the hallway of our house so I can see it every day. 

A quick reminder now to say that the April Fools ATC swap is nearing its deadline, I have the cards in for this swap now so will be swapping out at the end of the week.  There were only three players besides myself for this swap, but I'm sure everyone will be happy with the ATCs they receive back.  Don't forget to check my blog again on 1st May, as it'll be time to post details of the new monthly swap then ...... I hope this one will appeal to more of you and that you'll consider joining in.

4 comments:

  1. this is an interesting piece :)
    Thanks for sharing with us.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your frame has turned out really well. It will be lovely to have all those memories everytime you look at it. Looking forward to the May swap too. xx
    X Mia

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just great makes me want to do something like this with a mirror. I really love it.
    Barbara B.
    http://www.blossomsbloomers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Heather, this is stunning. I have just such a Mirror to do something with - somewhere! I must go and find it. well done you! Looking forward to seeing what the May swap is. I'll hopefully, be able to join in. Love S xx

    ReplyDelete