Wednesday 27 June 2012

Art and Soul

Yesterday I actually made a bit of time to sit down and create a new page in my journal, the first piece of "art" I've made since April!  Playing 'catch up' with the journal prompts that Ali sets us and am working on May's theme at the moment.  We had to jot down on paper a random selection of colours and words, then do a "lucky dip" of three colours and one word for each of the four pages.  For this first page the colours and word I pulled out were Black, Olive Green, Lime Green and Soul.  We also had to then choose one image for each page.  This is what I came up with - just plain and simple really, wanted to work quickly without giving it too much thought so that I didn't get bogged down with lots of ideas and inevitably wouldn't have done anything ........... 
 I started by using my Neocolour II water-soluble wax pastels in Yellow Green (nearest I had to Lime), Olive and Black, and blended them with my finger across the page.  I then brushed over the pastels with a little water and heat-blasted to set.
 I cut scrap paper to the same size as the journal page to use as a template.  I placed my chosen image where I wanted it to be on the page and wrote out my chosen quote (by Pablo Picasso) across the rest of the paper.  Each word was then outlined individually as a guide.
Using a scalpel I cut out and removed each word from the page. 
 I lay the "stencil" on top of my journal page and sponged over using a baby wipe to lighten the cut out areas.  I again heat-blasted the page.
I wrote my quote with a fine black waterproof pen in the sponged out areas and drew an outline around each word.  Finally, I adhered the image to the page and rubbed a little soft pencil around parts of it to make it blend in with the background.  Also embellished with a little stamping using Archival Ink in Jet Black and Olive.  And that was all there was to it .................

Nice and Simple!
(hope you like)

1 comment:

  1. Good grief it's fabulous. I love greens and black so your random choice is tops. It amazes me how you come up with all your ideas then I remember, you are an artist.
    Hugs Joanne xx
    X Mia

    ReplyDelete